Thursday, May 28, 2009

Composing Music and Songs

In Chapter Three of The Dream Hat, Eon sang the song "Sleeping Beauties".  I originally hired a friend of mine to sing all of Eon's songs.  The singer had a great voice, but had a bit of dyslexia and jumbled some of the lines in the song.  Later we had a falling out and I decided, for legal reasons to sing it myself.  I tried to match the softness of his voice, because my voice is a little harsh.  I heard an interview with Joseph Mantegna on Fresh Air.  He talked about how he had to sing like Dean Martin for the HBO Rat Pack movie.  He said he yawned through all the songs to really open up the back of his throat.  I tried that trick and a lot of my friends thought I sounded like the original voice I hired for the songs.  That gave me confidence to sing all the rest of the Eon or Slink songs.

Currently Chapter Four is playing this week where Will meets The Purple Man who has held his breath to stop time.  To convey the feeling of being conscious of your breath, the background music sounded like the ticking of a clock and the melody was played only by wind instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment